Can you take CBD with ibuprofen? Read this article to find out the specifics. Always use caution when mixing medications and supplements! Wondering about taking ibuprofen with CBD oil? Here's the guide on what each is used for and possible combined effects. a guide to ibuprofen and CBD oil.
How Long After Taking CBD Can I Take Ibuprofen?
Ibuprofen and CBD have striking similarities. The pain-relieving qualities of both these drugs are used by millions around the world but despite the similarities, most people will either take CBD or ibuprofen, not both. But can you? The short answer is yes, you can. That said, there are more nuances to this answer. Stick around to understand the science behind this question as well as the answers to some frequently asked questions related to this topic.
CBD Oil vs Ibuprofen
Ibuprofen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAIDs) and is one of the most common as well as safest of its kind. It’s estimated that over 30 million people in the United States are prescribed Ibuprofen for a wide variety of pains and aches. Ibuprofen begins to relieve pain, inflammation, and to some extent, fever just 30 minutes after taking it.
Why People Take Ibuprofen and CBD?
Despite the similarities, there are many areas that CBD helps with where ibuprofen simply does not. One of the biggest reasons is mental health. Studies have shown that CBD oils help with anxiety and depression . Additionally, headaches and bodily inflammation are common markers of anxiety and depression which may lead people to take ibuprofen.
Additionally, sleeping can be troublesome with pain. While ibuprofen does help reduce the pain, it won’t do anything for not being able to sleep. CBD oil, on the other hand, does indeed help with sleep according to some research.
Can You Take Ibuprofen After Taking CBD?
Thankfully, this is a question we can answer using science. A lot of the things we consume (not just medication) interact with each other once broken down in the body. The vast majority of these interactions are harmless. Being such a popular painkiller, Ibuprofen has been tested comprehensively to see if it reacts with other popular medications, including cannabis. And it is considered safe to consume ibuprofen after consuming cannabis as there are no apparent interactions. However, a recent study
That said, there are nuances and thus you should take certain steps to ensure health and safety.
Things to Consider When Taking CBD and Ibuprofen Together?
Ibuprofen is safe, to begin with (when taken as prescribed). That said, it’s good practice to wait a while between taking ibuprofen and CBD. Both medications have similar results so taking them at the same might have an overpowered result.
It’s also very important to know exactly what other ingredients your CBD product has and ensure it doesn’t react negatively with ibuprofen. It’s highly recommended that you always purchase CBD products from reputed CBD retailers who offer third-party comprehensive testing of their products.
Can I Take Ibuprofen With CBD Oil? the Guide on Taking Both
Pain and inflammation can be a part of life for some people. If you struggle with pain often, you might take ibuprofen regularly. Recently many are turning to CBD oil as an additional form of pain relief. But can you take ibuprofen with CBD oil?
According to medical research, cannabinoids might offer significant ‘side benefits’ beyond treating chronic pain. So, we’re going to discuss whether you can take ibuprofen with CBD oil.
Can I take Ibuprofen with CBD oil? Providing you are not allergic to ibuprofen, it should be safe to take with CBD oil. There is always a potential risk of an allergic reaction, so proceed with caution and check with your doctor. There is no firm research recommending not to take cannabinoids such as CBD oil with ibuprofen.
First, let’s recap on what CBD oil is, then we’ll get into more of the details.
What is CBD oil?
CBD, a type of chemical known as a cannabinoid, is one of the hundreds of cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant.
It’s the main ingredient in hemp, which is one type of cannabis plant.
Marijuana, another type of cannabis plant, also contains CBD, but it also contains what is commonly known as THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), which is psychoactive and not used in CBD oil.
THC is responsible for providing individuals with that sense of euphoria or “high” feeling.
There are several common ways to take CBD oil. But if you are wondering whether you can combine CBD oil with over-the-counter pain relievers such as ibuprofen, let’s examine why you might take ibuprofen.
Why take ibuprofen?
- Ibuprofen is an everyday painkiller for a range of aches and pains, including back pain, period pain, toothache. It also treats inflammation caused by strains, sprains, pain from arthritis, and other injuries.
is a non-steroid, anti-inflammatory. Simply put, it reduces inflammation and pain in the body, and it can also be used to bring down a fever or temperature. Some common brand names of ibuprofen include Advil and Motrin.
- Ibuprofen works by blocking the production of prostaglandins. Prostaglandins cause pain and swelling, or inflammation, and are substances that the body releases in response to illness and injury.
- Ibuprofen’s painkilling effects begin soon after taking a dose.
Who might use CBD oil with ibuprofen?
CBD has been used for thousands of years as an alternative remedy to help with pain, inflammation, depression, and anxiety. Individuals suffering from the following conditions may be more likely to use CBD oil with ibuprofen.
- Arthritis – Those dealing with arthritis may be looking for additional pain relief. Therefore, they may be more likely to combine CBD oil and ibuprofen to help deal with the symptoms.
- Menstrual pain – Equally, sufferers from dysmenorrhea, which is the pain and discomfort felt during the menstrual period, may explore how the benefits of both CBD and ibuprofen may work together in reducing symptoms.
- Anxiety and depression – Anxiety decreased within the first month of 57 patients involved in a recent CBD study. Although more research is recommended, this is promising regarding CBD oil’s ability to help relieve anxiety. Anxiety and stress have been linked to increased inflammatory markers. This can weaken the immune system, making you more susceptible to illness, leading to taking ibuprofen. Therefore, those dealing with anxiety and depression may be more likely to combine CBD oil with ibuprofen.
- Dental pain – CBD oil can be applied or ingested for dealing with tooth pain. However, this often does not provide quick pain relief. So, patients will more than likely consider taking ibuprofen in addition to the CBD oil.
How do ibuprofen and CBD oil work?
- CBD oil – the way CBD works is complex and is not yet as well understood as ibuprofen. It appears to offer pain relief by inhibiting the action of neurotransmitters. According to a 2018 publication in Frontiers of Pharmacology, CBD has an inhibitory effect on neurotransmitters and neuropeptides that are involved in the ‘activation of descending inhibitory pain pathways, along with the reduction of neural inflammation.’
- Ibuprofen– limits the number of enzymes produced by cyclooxygenase-2 abbreviated as COX-2. This results in decreased prostaglandin release when the body experiences injury, leading to lowered inflammation and pain.
As we can see, the main difference between CBD and ibuprofen is how they interact with pain response pathways.
How should I take ibuprofen with CBD oil?
Spacing out drug doses is a safer way to use both CBD and ibuprofen. The time at which you take both CBD and ibuprofen may influence how the two drugs interact.
For instance, depending on a drug’s dose, it has the potential to inhibit liver enzymes for a variable timeframe.
So, spacing doses out would assist liver enzymes in regaining sufficient function by the time a second drug is taken.
Currently, not much is known about how CBD could interact with other medications, including ibuprofen. More research needs to be done, but current research has shown that CBD poses inhibitory action on some enzymes that galvanize drug metabolism.
When examining CBD drug interactions, it seems that ibuprofen falls into the second of two categories: caution must be exercised when combining with CBD oil.
Is there any medication not safe to take with CBD oil?
According to some medical journals, as CBD is often used by different kinds of patients, often with complex conditions and treatment plans, it’s important to know any potential safety issues when combining CBD oil with prescription drugs.
Therefore, it is crucial that you consult your doctor if you are planning on combing CBD with any other medication.
Is CBD oil safe?
When combining CBD oil with ibuprofen, you should also ensure that it is safe to do so.
According to recent medical research, potential uses of CBD alone, or in combination with THC, include reducing pain and inflammation, both important qualities of Ibuprofen.
CBD may also be used for the following conditions:
- Multiple sclerosis,
- Psychotic disorders
In terms of safety, using CBD alone is considered safe. Any side effects are generally mild. However, this does not consider possible drug interactions, which is why it is crucial that you consult your doctor beforehand.
Is CBD legal?
Purchasing CBD is federally legal as long as it doesn’t contain more than 0.3 percent THC. However, some state laws have put restrictions on buyers. For example, Virginians can only buy and possess CBD if they have a certification.
Combining drugs can often have varying effects for each individual, and it also largely depends on the state of your health. This is why seeking your doctor’s advice before proceeding is important so that the right course of action can be taken, and any drug usage or combination of drugs can be properly monitored.
If you’re having trouble affording any of your medications, enroll with us and see if you qualify to pay only $50 a month for each of your medications.